ZonMw – Promising Care (Veelbelovende Zorg)

Medische zorg


The ZonMw funding scheme Promising Care, in collaboration with the Zorginstituut is meant to facilitate the inclusion of promising medical care into the basic insurance package. Within this program, a temporary funding of maximally 6 years for research into the (cost) effectiveness of new care can be applied for. The results of this research will be evaluated by the Zorginstituut to determine whether the care will become part of the basic insurance.


  • The lack of solid research is the only reason why the care is not yet compensated
  • Safety and efficacy must be demonstrated
  • (Health) risks for patients should be acceptable
  • The project cannot be executed without funding (market failure)

Who can apply?

  • Main applicant: administrative representative of a healthcare provider.
  • Patient organisations.
  • Owners of the intervention (possibly).

What can be funded?

  • Healthcare
  • Resource care
  • Off-label applications of medicines that are registered in the Netherlands


  • Two rounds per year
  • First project idea (pre-application), then full grant application
  • Research can last a maximum of 6 years
  • Funding decision within 5 months
  • €69 million available, maximally €40 million in first round of the year
  • 20% of the requested amount can be used for research, the remaining 80% should compensate the care that is not covered


  • Relevance
  • Quality


Follow us on LinkedIn!


This fact sheet aims to provide a quick overview of the objectives, structure and conditions of this grant agreement. No conclusions can be drawn on the basis of this information. Moreover, this document has no legal status.

Share this article via: LinkedIn