Every year, the NWO domain of Applied and Engineering Sciences (AES) holds a competition for the development of an innovative and creative “out-of-the-box” idea that contributes to solving a societal challenge: Open Mind
The awards will be announced during the NWO TTW TEKNOWLOGY innovation festival. The Open Mind competition offers researchers the opportunity to further develop their ground-breaking idea and make it visible to a wider audience.
The Open Mind competition is intended for researchers from the following research institutes, at all stages of their career:
- Dutch universities
- University medical centres
- KNAW and NWO institutes
- Dutch Cancer Institute
- Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics in Nijmegen
- DUtch-Belgium BeamLinE (DUBBLE) at the ESRF in Grenoble
- NCB Naturalis
- Advanced Research Centre for NanoLithography (ARCNL)
- Princess Máxima Centre
- The project duration is a maximum of 1 year.
- The idea is innovative and has not been researched before (not by the applicant, but also not by the wider research community).
- The idea is unconventional.
- The idea has a technological component. The technology is used to solve a social challenge.
The total budget comprises €350,000. Successful projects are awarded a fixed amount of €50,000. This money can be spent on:
- Personnel costs of temporary staff
- Research leave for applicants
- Foreign travel
Project ideas are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Quality of the project plan
- Potential impact
The application consists of a project plan, financial plan, data management plan, and a video in which applicants present their ideas. Applicants should also pitch and discuss their proposal at TEKNOWLOGY festival if their proposal is selected.
Deadline: 14 March 2023
Please call. We would like to help you with a promising application!
Follow us on LinkedIn!