Every year, the NWO domain of Applied and Engineering Sciences (AES) holds a competition for the development of an innovative and creative “out-of-the-box” idea that contributes to solving a societal challenge: Open Mind
The awards will be announced during the NWO TTW TEKNOWLOGY innovation festival. The Open Mind competition offers researchers the opportunity to further develop their ground-breaking idea and make it visible to a wider audience.
The Open Mind competition is intended for researchers from the following research institutes, at all stages of their career:
- Dutch universities
- University medical centres
- KNAW and NWO institutes
- Dutch Cancer Institute
- Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics in Nijmegen
- DUtch-Belgium BeamLinE (DUBBLE) at the ESRF in Grenoble
- NCB Naturalis
- Advanced Research Centre for NanoLithography (ARCNL)
- Princess Máxima Centre
- The project duration is a maximum of 1 year.
- The idea is innovative and has not been researched before (not by the applicant, but also not by the wider research community).
- The idea is unconventional.
- The idea has a technological component. The technology is used to solve a social challenge.
The total budget comprises €250,000. Successful projects are awarded a fixed amount of €50,000. This money can be spent on:
- Personnel costs of temporary staff
- Research leave for applicants
- Foreign travel
Project ideas are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Quality of the project plan
- Potential impact
The application consists of a project plan, financial plan, data management plan, and a video in which applicants present their ideas. Applicants should also pitch and discuss their proposal at TEKNOWLOGY festival if their proposal is selected.
The call is currently closed.
Please call. We would like to help you with a promising application!
Follow us on LinkedIn!