Horizon Europe is the largest funding programme in Europe and will run from 2021 until 2027. The structure of the programme has changed compared with its predecessor, Horizon 2020. Horizon Europe consists of three pillars, each with its own focus area and work programmes. More information on the work programmes will become available shortly.
Pillar 1: Excellent Science
The primary goal of this pillar is to allow science in Europe to both maintain and reach top level. Furthermore, the programme aims to make Europe an attractive location for world-renowned researchers. This pillar includes the following instruments:
- European Research Council (ERC): Grants for excellent scientific research.
- Marie Sklodowska Curie Actions (MSCA): Grants and scholarships for the training and exchange of scientists.
- Research Infrastructures: Grants for the development of scientific research infrastructures.
Pillar 2: Global Challenges and European Industrial Competitiveness
Pillar 2 focuses on the major challenges facing the EU, and the world in general. Amongst others, these challenges have been identified in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The challenges have been classified into six clusters:
- 1. Health
- 2. Culture, creativity and inclusive society
- 3. Civilian security for society
- 4. Digital, industry and space
- 5. Climate, energy and mobility
- 6. Food, bioeconomy, natural resources, agriculture and environment
For each of these clusters, annual work programmes will be published with specific themes, for which proposals can be submitted.
Pillar 3: Innovative Europe
The third pillar of Horizon Europe aims to strengthen the EU’s competitive position through innovation. It comprises the following instruments:
- European Innovation Council: Grants for the development and demonstration of technologies that respond to major societal challenges. These challenges are published in separate calls.
- EIC Fellowships, Challenges and Procurement (no information available yet)
- European Innovation Ecosystems
- European Institute of Innovation and Technology
The latter two programmes are of interest to European innovation systems and technology institutes.
Follow us on LinkedIn!