The aim of the Dutch Climate Agreement is to achieve a 49% reduction in CO2 emissions by 2030. The Energy and Climate Innovation Demonstration (DEI+) supports this goal by achieving CO2 reductions in the most cost-effective way possible. Therefore, the DEI+ focuses on new innovative products, processes, or services that contribute to CO2 reduction (or CO2 equivalent) in the Netherlands.
Themes, Budgets, and Grants
The DEI+ is open to different themes. The table below provides an overview of the themes for 2021. These have a joint budget of €76.6 million and are open from 18 January 2021 until 7 January 2022.
|DEI+ themes 2021|
(including spatial integration)
|Circular Economy (for projects above € 3 million)
|CC(U)S: Carbon Capture, Utilisation, and Storage
|Other CO2-reduction measures in industry or in the electricity sector
|Flexibilisation of the energy system, amongst others hydrogen (only for pilot projects)|
DEI+ themes with their own budgets:
|DEI+ Homes, neighbourhoods, and buildings without natural gas||18-01-2021 up to and including 07-01-2022||€9,000,000|
A maximum of €15 million can be applied for per project (with the exception of €9 million for natural gas-free housing, neighbourhoods, and buildings). Grant rates range from 25% for experimental development to 30-50% for demonstration, varying for each theme. It is possible to increase this by 10-20% for small and medium-sized business.
Both individual companies and participants in joint ventures (with at least 1 company amongst the consortium partners) can apply for the DEI+. Universities may also participate in projects. Whilst provinces and municipalities may participate in projects, they cannot receive subsidy.
- Within all themes, both pilots and demonstration projects may be applied for, with the exception of CC(U)S and flexibilisation of the electricity system, including hydrogen, for which only pilots are allowed.
- The maximum duration of projects is 4 years.
- Small projects of which all project partners have individually applied for less than €125,000 for any of these themes have a maximum duration of 1 year.
- Projects within the energy innovation theme have a maximum duration of 4 years.
- Projects must be realised in the Netherlands (or in Bonaire, St. Eustatius, or Saba). The CO2 reduction must also take place there.
- Projects may not have started before the application has been submitted.
A Programme in Transition
Since 2019, the DEI+ has undergone major changes compared to previous years. The scope of the programme has been broadened. The focus is no longer only on energy innovations and the production of renewable energy, but also on CO2 reduction. As a result, the number of categories in which applications can be submitted, has been expanded. In practice, this means that many more projects can apply for the scheme. In addition, that grants will now be distributed according to the first-come-first-serve principle. Previously, 2 tenders were opened annually.
We kindly invite you to contact us
Follow us on LinkedIn!