Temporary Incentive for Climate Adaptation

Wateroverlast Nederland - Deltaplan


The Delta Plan on Spatial Adaptation (DPRA) is intended to accelerate and intensify the approach to flooding, heat stress and drought; and to limit the consequences of flooding via spatial adaptation. The aim is to make the Netherlands both climate-proof and water-robust by 2050. The following ambitions have been formulated:

  • Assess vulnerability with a stress test
  • Conduct a risk dialogue and formulate strategies
  • Draw up an implementation agenda
  • Exploit co-benefits
  • Regulating and securing
  • Stimulate and facilitate
  • Acting in the event of calamities

The Delta Plan is reviewed every six years. The year 2021 marks a new phase in the programme, with a renewed focus on implementation and target attainment. A total of €200 million has been made available to the 45 work regions of the Netherlands. Money will be allocated by regional authorities.

Incentive for Climate Adaptation

Currently, applications can be submitted for the Impulse for Climate Adaptation scheme. Municipalities, provinces, and water boards can receive a State contribution towards climate adaptation measures. The package of measures contributes to reducing the vulnerability of areas to drought or the effects of flooding.

The national contribution is needed to accelerate the implementation of adaptation measures, to add an adaptation component to measures already planned, or to tackle new adaptation measures. Measures cannot concern regular management, nor overdue maintenance. The subsidy is solely intended for measures related to excess water, drought, or (the consequences of) flooding, which preferably have an integral approach.

Preferably, the physical measures also reinforce other objectives, for example in the fields of freshwater availability, water quality, greening, nature/biodiversity, energy transition, or public health.

Target Group

  • The 45 work regions of the DPRA. At least 50% of the administrative levels present in a working region (municipalities, water boards and provinces) must agree to the proposal. The subsidy is applied for by one of the administrative levels that acts as a cashier and forwards the funds to the other participating governmental parties.
  • Several work regions can also submit a joint proposal. The proposal must have the commitment of at least two levels of government.

Financial Scope

The scheme comprises a total of €200 million, to be divided amongst the 45 Dutch work regions in proportion to the number of inhabitants. This means that the maximum budget differs per work region. The national government contributes a maximum of 33% of the costs for a package of measures. The local authorities in the work region make agreements with each other about how they will finance the other 67%.


Submitted proposals will be evaluated based on:

  • effectiveness and efficiency
  • co-financing; and
  • integral approach.

In addition, preconditions are:

  • urgency;
  • feasibility; and
  • legitimacy.


The Impulse for Climate Adaptation is open from 1 January 2021 to 31 December 2023. The intended measures must be realised by 31 December 2027. It is not necessary to apply for the entire package of measures at once; you may also apply for an annual contribution. Would you like to explore the possibilities for an application? Please feel free to contact us.


The purpose of this summary is to provide a quick insight into the purpose, structure and conditions of the subsidy programme (as known on 16-2-2021). No conclusions can be drawn from this and no rights can be derived from it. 

Follow us on LinkedIn!       


Share this article via: LinkedIn