The proportion of women in the STEM disciplines at universities and colleges of higher education is low in the Netherlands. Moreover, the higher the position, the lower the proportion of women. The government wants to stimulate an increase in the proportion of women. With the Science and Technology incentive fund for women, the government wants to reduce the outflow of qualified women. NWO implements the grant scheme.
The programme supports women who have obtained a PhD and have the prospect of a permanent or higher appointment (from tenure track onwards), but who are temporarily without funding.
- Applications can be submitted on an ongoing basis.
- The grant can be requested for a maximum of 18 months.
- The grant covers both salary costs and equipment. Equipment is understood to comprise:
- Project-related services and goods, such as consumables and calculation time;
- Travel and accommodation costs for conference visits, fieldwork, and working visits;
- Implementation costs (for example to organise a symposium).
- The application must include a curriculum vitae; a justification of the need for the grant; and a research proposal for the period the grant is requested to bridge. It must also include an embedding guarantee from the institution where the research will be carried out.
- Minimal €20,000
- Maximal €250,000
- For equipment, eligible costs are max. €15,000
- For 2020, there is a total budget of €3.6 million available
- Applications can be submitted until December 31, 2020.
The evaluation criteria are:
- De potential of the research proposal
- The quality of the researcher