The Open Competition is a financing instrument that is targeted at free research without thematic boundary conditions. There are several possibilities for amount of money and division of the projects, also equipment costs and/or (inter)national collaboration can be included. This funding scheme is meant for experienced researchers that are not eligible anymore for the Innovational Research Incentives Scheme.
- Applicant needs to be contracted at a Dutch knowledge institution for the entire duration of the research project
- Apply once a year at most, and not in succeeding rounds
- At the latest 1 year before the planned end date of longest running NWO project
- First stage: preproposals
What can be applied for?
- Up to €750,000, no minimum
- Maximum term is 6 years
- Several possibilities for budget (budget modules):
- Knowledge Utilisation
- Historical Sciences
- Philosophy and religion
- Cultural sciences
- Economy and business administration
- Behaviour and education
- Law and public administration
- Social sciences
- Quality of research idea
- Scientific/societal impact
- Embedding, organisation, and budget
This fact sheet aims to provide a quick overview of the objectives, structure and conditions of this subsidy scheme. No conclusions can be drawn from this information. Moreover, this document has no legal status.