Interreg’s goal is to reduce the economic differences that exist between different EU regions and member states. It stimulates cooperative projects in the fields of innovation, environment, climate, sustainable energy, CO2 reduction and efficient use of natural resources and materials.
Interreg is made up of several programmes, divided by European regions. The Netherlands participates in a number of European, transnational and cross-border programmes. The budget for the various programmes comes from the European Fund for Regional Development (EFRO)
All Interreg programmes have the prerequisite of cooperation with partners from other European countries.
Objectives and target audiences of Interreg
The Interreg programmes are intended for cooperative projects between governments, knowledge institutes, businesses, non-profit organisations and social organisations (foundations, associations and interest groups) from the various countries participating in a programme.
Some Interreg programmes specifically target SMEs.
Projects must suit the programmes’ priorities. The NWE and NSR programme also focus on demonstration projects during which new techniques and methods – including joint testing, validation, evaluation and distribution of results – are applied.
The EUROPE programme requires that projects focus on knowledge exchange with partners in other European regions, with the ultimate goal of improving an existing policy instrument.
Conditions, characteristics and figures
- Cooperation between at least two parties from countries that participate in the programme
- Grant percentages vary per programme: NWE 60%, NSR 50%, Europe 75-85%, FL-NL, Ger-NL and 2seas 50%.
- Two calls per year per programme in accordance with the 2-step principle. Interreg Ger-NL is always open to applications.
- Project scope indicative 3-6 million euros, lead time 3-5 years.
- Under certain conditions, a contribution for drawing up the application (PSR) and/or an additional contribution for the co-financing (CETSI) can be acquired via RVO
The Interreg 2014-2020 programmes are coming to an end. As soon as new programs are known, we will update this page.
Examples of projects funded with Interreg