The Horizon 2020 – European Green Deal is a new EU strategy to make the economy sustainable and decoupled from resource use. The ambitious goal is to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, moving towards a sustainable, circular economy. In addition, the aim is to have no pollution and to restore biodiversity.
As part of the European Green Deal, several new Horizon 2020 calls will be published this year. These are collaborative projects, specifically innovation actions, and research and innovation actions. The total budget comprises 1 billion euro. The call is expected to be published in September 2020 and will close in January 2021.
Although the calls have not been published yet, the following eight themes will be addressed:
- Increasing climate ambition: cross-sectoral challenges
- Clean, affordable and secure energy
- Industry for a clean and circular economy
- Energy and resource-efficient buildings
- Sustainable and smart mobility
- Farm to Fork
- Restoring biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Zero-pollution, toxic-free environment
In addition, the following three horizontal programme lines will cut across all of the themes mentioned above:
- Strengthening our knowledge in support of the European Green Deal
- Empowering citizens for transition towards a climate neutral, sustainable Europe
- International cooperation in accelerating the transition to clean energy
Please check our website for updates and more information about the application procedure once the calls have been published.
The purpose of this fact sheet is to provide a quick overview of the objectives, structure, and conditions of this grant programme. No conclusions can be drawn on the basis of this information. Moreover, this document has no legal status.