The Wadden Sea Fund was set up to give a sustainable and qualitative impulse to the Wadden Sea’s ecology and economy. Since 1 January 2012, the Dutch provinces of North Holland, Groningen, and Friesland are responsible for the Wadden Sea Fund. Grant applications can be submitted during the application periods, which are announced every year in the province’s application decree.
Themes of the Wadden Sea Fund
The Wadden Sea Fund comprises the following themes:
- Water, soil, light and sound
- World heritage sites, cultural history and landscape development
- Sustainable recreation and tourism
- Increased sustainability of energy management
- Sustainable harbours of the Wadden
- Sustainable fishing
- Sustainable agriculture
- Budget Local innovations
All activities must take place in the Wadden Sea area, meaning the municipalities located around the Wadden Sea.
Target Audiences of the Wadden Sea Fund
The Wadden Sea Fund is interesting for all parties aiming to set up activities in the Wadden Sea area. This includes governments, businesses, and non-profit organisations. The primary condition is that an ecological and/or economic contribution is made to the Wadden Sea area.
The Wadden Sea Fund comprises three different financing instruments:
- Budget Local Innovation (BLI)
- Thematic Call
- Consultancy Costs
- Projects should contribute to local innovation; promote living conditions or employment; and strengthen the quality of the Wadden Sea region
- The maximum contribution per project is €50,000
- Proposals could initially be submitted until 10 July 2020 (13.00 hrs). This is subject to an amendment: the application period now closes on 29 January 2021. The maximum ceiling for this opening has also been raised from €1.5 million to €2 million.
2. Grant Scheme Thematic Implementation Wadden Fund 2020/1
This autumn is the start of the new grant scheme Thematic Implementation Wadden Fund 2020/1 for projects that stimulate the ecology and economy in the Wadden area.
The four specific focus areas are:
- Sustainable energy management
- Soil, water, light and sound
- Landscape development (theme WCL)
- Aquacultures (theme Sustainable Fishing)
Details Grant Scheme Thematic Implementation Wadden Fund 2020/1
- 30 to 90% compensation for direct eligible costs
- The applications will be judged on the basis of entry in the order in which they are received
- Maximum grant per application: €1 million
- Grant ceiling: €4 million
- This scheme will open on Tuesday 13 October 2020 at 10.00 hrs and will close on Thursday 31 December 2020 at 12.00 hrs.
- This concerns a voucher to compensate for the consultancy costs involved when drawing up a larger grant application for the Wadden Sea Fund
- The voucher comprises a maximum of €5,000
- This scheme is currently closed
- The proposal is in line with the implementation programme of the Wadden Sea Fund
- The application complies with the requirements set out in the 2019/01 Grant Scheme Wadden Sea Fund
- In some cases, the application must comply with the current grant regulation of the Wadden Sea Fund
- Policy rules of the Wadden Sea Fund apply
The purpose of this fact sheet is to provide a quick overview of the objectives, structure, and conditions of this particular grant scheme. No conclusions can be drawn on the basis of this information. Moreover, this document has no legal status.