The Topsector Energy includes a new grant scheme: The Mission-driven Research, Development, and Innovation (MOOI) scheme. This scheme supports large-scale projects with integral solutions that contribute to the climate goals. Within this scheme, consortia can submit projects under the themes ‘Wind at Sea’, ‘Renewable Electricity on Land’, ‘Built Environment’, and ‘Industry’.
The Netherlands faces a major CO2-reduction challenge in the coming years. For this reason, grant schemes are established for different stages of development. Whilst many schemes are aimed at developing innovative products and processes, the MOOI scheme is aimed specifically towards system innovations that provide a complete solution to users’ problems. These projects should involve industrial research and experimental development, and should be in the pilot phase (TRL 3–5). The development of a prototype is permitted, whereas the actual testing in representative environments is not.
Within this scheme, budgets are available for the following themes:
- Wind at Sea (€10.1 million)
- Renewable Electricity on Land (€10.9 million)
- Built Environment (€27 million)
- Industry (€17 million)
It is important to pay attention to the following elements:
- Cost reduction and optimisation (safe and affordable upscaling)
- Integration in the energy system (including storage and conversion)
- Integration in the area (ecology and multi-use)
Projects have to include at least 3 partners and a minimum of €2 million. Funding totals are capped at €4 million (with a maximum of €7 million for the theme ‘Built Environment’). In order to ensure the project’s integral character, research organisations may not take up more than 65% of the eligible costs.
- Pre-registration: from 1 to 18 May 2020
- Final submission: from 1 July to 6 October 2020.
- Decisions are expected in December 2020.
This fact sheet aims to provide a quick overview of the objectives, structure and conditions of this subsidy scheme. No conclusions can be drawn from this information. Moreover, this document has no legal status.