ELENA stands for European Local Energy Assistance and concerns a European grant scheme implemented by the European Investment Bank (EIB).
ELENA is a grant scheme with the aim of supporting organizations in the elaboration and preparation of large-scale investment projects in the field of energy and transport. The focus is on energy efficiency, decentralized renewable energy generation, urban transport, and mobility.
Parties from the public and private sectors may be eligible for ELENA, possibly in cooperation with each other.
- The European Commission provides the grant, the European Investment Bank (EIB) implements the scheme.
- The scheme consists of two tracks:
- Energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Urban transport and mobility
- This is a first-come-first-serve award with the advantage that there are no submission deadlines.
- At ELENA it is possible to submit project ideas to the EIB. The first eligibility check is followed by a call for a full application. This increases the chances of a successful application.
- Project size: at least €30 million of investment must be planned. (Investment planning above €20 million is negotiable)
- Different investment programmes (also from several applicants) can be combined to achieve the required investment volume.
- Grant rate: the scheme covers up to 90% of eligible costs for support in preparing the investment programme* up to a maximum of 5% of the total investment (10% for transport)
- Investment programme implemented within 3 years (4 years for transport projects)
* This makes activities such as feasibility and market studies, programme structuring, business plans, energy audits, the preparation of tender procedures and contracts and the design of project implementation eligible. The focus of energy projects is on integration into the built environment.
This fact sheet aims to provide a quick overview of the objectives, structure and conditions of this subsidy scheme. No conclusions can be drawn from this information. Moreover, this document has no legal status.